Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Joys of eating less

I recently tried an experiment of self restraint. I went for a buffet meal and decided to limit my eating to about half of what I normally stuff myself with. This experiment, of course, came about by watching the weighing scales rising slowly but steadily over the past few months leading to a concern of where I am headed.

So, I went to the buffet and, as planned, restricted my plate with half a helping of everything. I decided to skip a few items deliberately. I consciously ignored the sweet dish and the deep fried section. Also, refrained from going for a second helping.

As I eat the sparse meal, I chewed more than usual so that the food remains in the mouth for longer. I also savoured the dishes more deeply than usual. When I walked out of the place, I felt better & lighter. My tummy which usually becomes uneasy after a stuffing, felt good and calm. I also felt happier with the absence of the feeling of guilt that accompanies a hearty meal.

That night I slept soundly and didn't toss around as usual. The morning after also felt delightfully fresh and healthy.

This experiment helped me realize the wonders & joys of eating less. It has an all round positive impact. It made me feel more comfortable and healthy. One should really only eat half of what will make the stomach full. There is always another meal snack available if one really requires.

I am sure if I continue this trend, my weighing scales will also stop complaining every time I mount them.

No comments: